Blogger Templates

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Chong Wei wants Misbun back

LEE Chong Wei has given a strong indication of a reunion with his former mentor Misbun Sidek in a move to enhance his chances of winning an Olympic gold in London next year.

Chong Wei is currently under coach Tey Seu Bock and also receives help from Rashid Sidek and Hendrawan.

The World No 1 said he is open to advice from any parties in order to achieve his life-long dream.

However, Chong Wei threw the ball into the BA of Malaysia's (BAM) court, saying he was leaving it to the association to make the final call.

Misbun ended a three-year tenure as the national singles coach when his contract expired on Dec 31, 2010, sending a letter of resignation on the same day.

He rejected a new contract by BAM which wanted him to train the back-up shuttlers instead of Chong Wei.

Under Seu Bock, Chong Wei reached 11 international finals in a row, winning seven, before being defeated repeatedly by his China rivals, Lin Dan and Chen Long.

Chong Wei had played five matches each against both players, winning once against Lin Dan and twice against Chen Long.

This weak record could have forced Chong Wei to turn to Misbun to revive his career.

Chong Wei also said he needs the help of a mental trainer and is keen on having Fred Tan, who was part of the team when Misbun was the coach.

"There has been some worry after my defeats to Lin Dan and Chen Long. I need to have new strategies in my preparations until the London Olympics. I have been training under Seu Bock while Rashid and Hendrawan also helped. I don't mind if I get help from Misbun," said Chong Wei during a signing ceremony as the brand ambassador of Cafe 99 Ipoh White Coffee, which is owned by Exclusive Mark Sdn Bhd in Shah Alam yesterday.

"The question of whether there will be a change in my coaching is with BAM. I am under BAM and I will follow its rules.

"I have spoken to Misbun recently and got some tips. However, I will follow what the BAM management tells me to do.

"I feel I have the confidence to overcome Chen Long while Lin Dan will be the man to beat in London."

http://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/reunion-on-the-cards-1.22837

0 comments: